Photobucket

Friday, April 6, 2012

DIY Pallet Canvas

Recently, in the past few months I've joined the wonderful world of  Pinterest and you can follow me HERE.....  Needless to say, I have found way too many things that I want to make!  I saw this DIY Mini Pallet tutorial from U Create Crafts, which just so happens to be a blog that I check out often.  I also fell in love with this from Corner House Blog but my house is way to small for something that size! 

Anyway, one day while browsing at Michaels Craft, I ran across some Balsa Wood and it hit me!  I could use this for a smaller pallet project because it is SO thin!  Kari at U Create Crafts used jumbo popsicle sticks for her project (which is genius) but I wanted something a little bit bigger and didn't want to cut a ton of them.  So, I picked this up...  It was $1.79 for a 36 inch piece. 

I already had an 11x14 canvas so this is the size I chose to use.  I ended up using 1 and a half pieces of the Balsa Wood. 




See how thin it is!!!  (Fun Fact: My dad actually informed me that a lot of people use this to build model airplanes....) 


At this point, I put the wood up to the canvas and guesstimated where it needed to be cut.  I cut it with sissors and then broke the piece in half, to give it the "pallet" look. 


I did this until I had enough to cover the canvas...  Then painted all of them with white acrylic paint (not as thick as I normally would, since I wanted a "worn" look).  At that point, I used my trusty glue gun and glued all of them in place.  Then used the same stencil technique as I used in my DIY Quote Board by cutting it out with my Silhouette.  The colors I chose were gray and pink since I wanted to put it on my living room wall with pictures of my sweet girl. 







I love it!!!  And think it looks great with the pictures (which my mom at Tena Wood Photography took).  The turquoise headband my daughter has on is from Miss Ruby Sue.  The whimsical frames are from Cut It Out Already Frames and the ones that aren't framed are from I Print Canvas and are mounted on the 3/16 Gator Board. 

Hope you enjoy this as much as I love looking at it!! :)

I'm Linking up to these fabulous parties






Design Dazzle
Weekend Bloggy Reading

Decorating Insanity






The DIY Dreamer






I Heart Nap Time












Pincushion Creations
The Southern Institute

23 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute, you did a great job! Love the wall and that awesome headband too! Visiting from the Tatertots & Jello link-up. :-)

Danielle
www.organizationalhysteria.com

Lolly Jane said...

So cute, Kimberly. Love the collage too! The pallet art is darling! (:

Amy Waller said...

Ummmm....I kind of love it A LOT! Such a genius idea to put it on canvas! I made one back in early Feb. for Valentine's Day and did it a little differently. But I think I will definitely be trying it on the canvas next time! Thanks for sharing! Oh- and here's the link to mine if you wanna check it out: http://allinadayblog.com/2012/01/diy-mini-pallet-valentines-art.html

xoxo

Misti @ Living On Cypress Hill said...

Oh I like it!! And I LOVE it with your gallery wall! It brings out the colors so well!!

Unknown said...

I love the pallet art! Your gallery wall is amazing. I'm so jealous that your mom is a photographer. They are so expensive here! (At least 200 per session and sometimes that doesn't even include pictures!) Have a wonderful Easter!

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

I love your color choices (and that headband is a stunner!). I used to use Balsa wood all the time in architecture school to build models, I think enough time has passed I might be able to use it again:)

Jessica
stayathomeista.com

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

LOVE this!! your gallery wall looks amazing!!!

Bonnie @ Uncommon

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

Amazing Gallery wall! love every bit...great pallet art too :)
Lina

Katie @ Made to be a Momma. said...

Wow....beautiful picture wall!! I am in LOVE and your mother is an amazing photographer! I would be thrilled to have you share this at my link party going on.....I am a new LINKY FOLLOWER and PINTEREST FOLLOWER...I am looking forward to seeing more from you!!
http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2012/04/homemade-by-you-6.html

Unknown said...

Love the pallet art and the whole wall grouping. I would love for you to link this to CraftOManiac Monday going on right now. WINKS, JEN

KC Coake said...

Looks so great! I love those cut out frames on the full collage wall. The colors are so pretty together.
KCoake
www.realcoake.blogspot.com

Hani said...

wow.. Fantastic.. I love the color pop on the wall.. That's a very cool idea.. Thanks for linking up at friday fun party

Becca @ The Sassy Penguin said...

Stands out wonderfully against those gorgeous pictures. Great job.

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

Gorgeous!!! I love the WHOLE wall... so cute! I am featuring these on my blog today!

Unknown said...

What an amazing arrangement! I love all the colors. I'm Penni over at
www.afewofmyfavoritethings-penni.blogspot.com

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

What a perfect addition to your beautiful gallery wall. The colors pop right out! Great project.

Unknown said...

I love this and will have to try it soon!!! I just found your blog today and am loving it!! So you've got a new follower :)

Unknown said...

Hello Kimberly- You are featured today on COM- in COM'S SSTS! winks, jen

Sugarr2518 said...

The wall art idea is a really neat idea!!! I haven't seen anything like this before. I LOVE your whole picture wall...I just may have to do something like this in our basement:) Those pops of teal are just perfect! It goes so well with your daughter's hair piece. I'm pinning this for inspiration for later! I'm your newest follower!!

Unknown said...

I love everything about your wall! Those pictures are amazing! Is your mom the photographer? I have sort of a strange questions...were the pictures your inspiration for the wall or was the wall the inspiration for the pictures?

Karen said...

It turned out so pretty!! Love the phrase and I also love the colors you used. Looks fabulous with all the other colors on your wall:)

Little Sprinkles Of Fun said...

I love this idea! I am your newest follower!

ErinRDH said...

What size the the wooden frames? 5x7? I am thinking of recreating this in my home. Thanks!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so feel free to leave a comment.
Thanks for visiting!