Photobucket

Friday, March 16, 2012

Picture Frame Tutorial

I was asked to guest post by Jenny at The NY Melrose Family yesterday, this is the tutorial that I posted :)

I happen to love pictures, as a matter of fact, I am constantly thinking of ideas for my daughter's next pictures.  Actually, I have been thinking of what to do for her spring pictures since before Christmas...  sad I know, but it's who I am.  My mother happens to be a photographer which works out great for me.

Since I love pictures so much, you know I love frames too. So, today I am going to show you how to embellish a unfinished wood frame, which will end up looking like this.... and be prepared for lots of pictures!


First, I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased a 5x7 unfinished wood frame this cost me $3.99.


At that point, I painted the entire frame 2 coats of white acrylic paint.



I wondered for years how to get perfectly straight lines when painting stripes and finally this year found out!  Actually, it is pretty simple....  put the painters tape on the frame, then take the same paint (in my case, I used the white acrylic paint). Go over the tape where you are wanting to paint the different color, this seals the tape so it shouldn't bleed, but if it does it will be the white (genious!! and I would have never thought of that myself by the way).


Once that is dry, you are ready to paint your other color.  I did two coats of the barn wood color I chose.


Then peel off the tape once it is dry and see.......  Perfect lines!!


I like the distressed look.  So at that point, I sanded all the sides and the front of the frame.




I purchased a craft Miter Saw kit from Joann's which was perfect for this project, it  wasn't a bad price $14.99.  I have used this thing so much it is well worth the price.  I wanted some color to the frame so I cut 45 degree angles on a piece of craft wood (you can purchase at probably any craft store).  I have purchased the craft wood at both Hobby Lobby and Joann's for about $.79.  Once it was cut I painted it the turquoise color.






Then, I used wood glue and glued the pieces to the frame. This dries really fast.



Some people may choose to stop here because this is a really cute frame even now.....  But I love girly things so I chose to embellish it more. 


At this point, I took a 2 inch silky ribbon (you could also use the wire ones) tied a bow and trimmed the ends.  Then, took a decorative pin and pinned it in the middle of the ribbon.  I glued everything to the frame with a glue gun. 


It is really an easy little project and makes great gifts!!  Here are pictures of the finished product!



By the way, the picture of the kids in the frame was taken by my mother at Tena Wood Photography.


Thanks again to Jenny at The NY Melrose Family  for letting me stop by yesterday!  I enjoyed it!


HouseofHepworths

Design Dazzle


I Heart Nap Time
Weekend Bloggy ReadingThe Girl Creative kojodesigns



8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm jumping over from Two Sasters! I love anything with stripes or polk-a-dots!
Super cute! Thanks for sharing!
Kristy
kristyscupofjo.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Very cute, I like the combination of "distressed" and sparkly, and I love how you brought the blue from the picture out with the blue accent added to the frame.

Roxanne Reinhart said...

I am visiting from Nifty Thrifty Tuesday because I too love photographs and frames of course. Yours is divine.

Staci said...

Thank you! I have been looking for a pic frame tutorial. Yours is great. I'm off to buy a miter saw.
thepotters-place.com

Lauryn Ashli said...

WAYYY cute picture frame.
thanks so much for linking it up!
i love the colors, and stripes get me every time :)
{love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Pitter and Glink said...

This is so beautiful! I love the big impact the little bit of molding around the frame opening has! Thanks for sharing! :)

Unknown said...

Where do you find the decorative pins?

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so feel free to leave a comment.
Thanks for visiting!