Photobucket

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Side Table



I found this side table at a thrift store for $7.00 and thought it would be perfect for me to practice on.  Considering I have never refinished a piece of furniture in my life....  I think it turned out great.  At that point, I didn't realize that I needed to take pics to show what I did during the process. 

So, this is where I tell you.  First, I purchased a sander because I knew that it was needed and that it would be used for other things as well.  Then, I sanded the entire piece with 80 grit sand paper.  At that point, I moved up to 110 grit and once that was done, I finished up the sanding with a 220 grit.  I was told that the 220 should leave a very smooth finish, which it did! 

Then, I filled in all the holes with wood filler, let that dry over night and sanded again.  I decided I wanted to use a drawer knob instead of a pull so I drilled a hole in the middle of the drawer for that.  Once all of this was done, I completely wiped down the table with a wet rag and let it dry over night.

For the paint, I used white spray paint.  I knew that I wanted a pattern and love this one.  So, I cut it out (with vinyl) on my Silhouette, placed piece by piece on the top and the front of the drawer.  Then I sponge painted on the turquiose paint (two coats), let that dry over night and then peeled off the vinyl design.  The final touch was putting the crystal knob on. 

I love it!!!  It it currently in my living room!

Here's the before and after....


I am linking up to some of my favorites!


The Girl Creative



Photobucket
The 36th AVENUE
Weekend Bloggy Readingkojodesigns
Design Dazzle





Decorating Insanity
I Heart Nap Time
The Southern Institute



shabby creek cottage HookingupwithHoH

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this table. It's beautiful. You linked up to a bloglovin hop though. Bloglovin' is a site that you can follow other blogs through. It's similar to Google Friends Connect so it's a way to get followers. The instructions on how to add bloglovin' to your blog are posted with this hop. Once you go back and add bloglovin' to your page let me know and I'll be sure to follow. I'm following GFC for now.

Kimberly @ See Sew and Seedlings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimberly @ See Sew and Seedlings said...

Sorry about that... I just signed up for bloglovin' and followed you and Randee's Organized Chaos but was unable to find the link to follow School House Scraps? Thanks for the directions :)

Simply Simplisticated said...

WOW!!! SO fresh and modern and crisp!! Who knew right? I LOVE this table,you did a great job here.Stop[ over and see my little bedside table i did for my little man:)Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

Michaela @ coveredinmodpodge.blogspot.com said...

Very cute. I love the color!

Kimberly @ See Sew and Seedlings said...

Thanks so much!!

Sugarr2518 said...

This is quite the change! I love your color choices:) It seems that paint always can update anything.

Kimberly @ See Sew and Seedlings said...

Thank you!! Yes, paint changes everything :)

Unknown said...

So pretty!!! You did a great job!

Unknown said...

This is so cute. Turned out great. If you get a chance link up here. I think my readers would dig it!
http://www.decoratinginsanity.com/2012/03/furniture-friday-7-and-link-party.html
xo...mONICa

Anonymous said...

I. LOVE. THIS! You did an amazing job!! And for your first time too, I'll bet you caught the 'refinishing' bug! I've got it too. I have a piece on my back patio drying over night RIGHT NOW that I cant wait to share =] Way to go! You did an awesome job sweet girl!

Kimberly @ See Sew and Seedlings said...

Awww! How sweet! Thanks so much.
Yes, doing these types of projects definitely gives you the bug. I can't wait to see yours! And will be on the lookout for it :)

Sarah said...

I love this. The design gives it so much more dimension.
Sarah
www.budgetfriendlydecorating.com

Unknown said...

Love it! I love that you changed the fixture to a knob. I need to get myself a silohette. Thank you for sharing at Whimsy Wednesday at The NY Melrose Family.

Anonymous said...

I love your table, great stencil, and color. Can't believe this is your first piece--good work!
Lynne @ Beautiful Things

Unknown said...

Am over from melrose and love the table. Amazing what can be done to 'lift' an old piece!
Lesley
(Sunday Linkies)

Unknown said...

You have been featured here:
http://www.decoratinginsanity.com/2012/03/weekend-features-8.html
stop by and grab a button.
xo...mONICa

Anonymous said...

I love your table! I need to try some stencils. I am going to follow you!

www.createyourdecor.blogspot.com

Make it Create by Lilly Ashley said...

Very cute!! I like the white and blue! New follower, looking forward to more of your projects! Hope you're having a good week!
www.TheLatestFind.com

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so feel free to leave a comment.
Thanks for visiting!